Data Engineering Lead
Sport Business Talent is working with OBS ( Olympic Broadcast Services) to recruit a:
Data Engineering Lead
Olympics.com is a multi-platform global media destination where fans can discover, engage and share in the power of sport and the excitement of the Olympic Games all year round. Offering original programming, news, live sports events, and highlights, Olympics.com provides additional exposure for sports and athletes 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in 12 languages. Olympics.com was launched in August 2016 as “Olympic Channel” in support of the IOC’s goal, set out in Olympic Agenda 2020, of providing a new way to engage younger generations, fans, and new audiences with the Olympic Movement. Founding Partners supporting Olympics.com are Worldwide TOP Partners Bridgestone, Toyota, and Alibaba. Olympics.com is available worldwide at olympics.com, its mobile apps, and on Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, and the Roku platform.
We are looking for a Data Engineering Lead to join the Olympics Digital Data & Analytics team.
- You will have the opportunity to work at the intersection of Data, Sports, and Media. We support Olympics.com, which during Olympic games is the world’s biggest digital sports property, as well as the Olympics app and @olympics social media. Currently, we are gearing up for the Olympic Games of Paris 2024 and Milano-Corna 2026.
- This role would suit a strong data engineer who wants to evolve into a data engineering leader
- If you have a solid technical background and an objective to build leadership skills we would love to hear from you!
- Our data infrastructure is almost entirely built on AWS serverless components and focused on infrastructure as code, near-real me, and low/no code solutions where possible.
- We continuously evolve to provide the most effective solutions in a high volume high availability environment.
We are a dynamic and multicultural team of specialists with a range of skills from analytics, stats, and data engineering to business communications and project management. We highly value diversity of background and perspective.
Dues & Responsibilies
- In this role, you will be a key leader of our data engineering work. You will take responsibility for leading the approach on all new components as well as the continuous evolution of our current components. The emphasis is on guiding our partner development teams, with occasional hands-on coding as a means to achieve this objective.
- Design and delivery leadership components that meet requirements from across the Digital Olympics Contribute to the overall data infrastructure architecture, including understanding opportunities and feasibility of adopting new cloud components
- Review existing implementations to identify opportunities to optimize performance or reduce cost Troubleshoot data issues and perform root cause analysis to proactively resolve issues and identify improvements
- Lead partner code reviews to ensure the quality of components built.
- Help to define, measure and monitor smart and realistic technical Service Level Agreements (eg availability, update latency, incident resolution) as a means to align expectations between users and partners. Coordinate the approval of roles and permissions to sensitive production systems
- Have daily stand-ups with the Data engineering service
- Discuss technical approach for future projects
- Monitor the evolution of current data engineering projects (like the evolution of our Data Lake, cost reduction strategy for cloud costs, etc)
- Troubleshoot data issues and perform root cause analysis to prevent future issues
Skills & Requirements
- 8+ years of relevant/professional experience related is required
- At least 5 years of experience developing data-related software.
- Experience with Cloud environments is expected, especially in a serverless environment.
- Ideally, AWS but other cloud experience is also appreciated. Proven track record of leveraging massive amounts of data to drive business progress
- Familiarity with Machine Learning is appreciated
- Experience guiding and executing cross-functional data engineering projects to completion, while remaining hands-on.
- Ability to design and develop software integrations between applications using common technologies (eg HTTP, REST, JSON)
- Familiar with Cloud Security concepts
- Being familiar with GDPR is appreciated
- Experience working with external vendors to deliver projects.
- Fluent in oral and written English, comparable to C1 proficiency
Workplace & Environment
- Fast-paced International work environment
- Based in Madrid, with a flexible 30% working-from-home allowance (subject to updates of the policy)
- Subject to national/international criminal background checks